One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art - Oscar Wilde

Wednesday 7 July 2010

Freckle Monster




As a child I grew up absolutely hating my freckles. I will never forget being absolutely devastated when the boy I fancied when I was 15 nicknamed me 'the freckle monster'. Teenage boys can be so cruel! My hope was that one day they would all merge into one giant freckle and I would look as though I had been blessed with the olive skin I had always wanted so much and that all my school friends seemed to have and take for granted. 'Freckles add character' my mother used to say, invoking a parent's favourite euphemism for anything their children detest! I did not want 'character'; I wanted conventional beauty in the form of an all-over caramel tan. My dilemma was such that I had a fringe cut to cover the dreaded freckles on my forehead and even considered having them removed cosmetically.

Thankfully however, I have learned to love these freckles of mine. I have just come back from a week in the sun, which brought out the freckles on my nose, cheeks and shoulders, and it looks like I have given hundreds of tiny kisses by the sun. The best thing is that unlike a tan, freckles can not be faked. As usual, mother you were right, my freckles are now a part of my character and I can't imagine life without them. Someone said once that 'A girl without freckles is like a night without stars'. I think it is one of my new favourite quotes!

7 comments:

  1. Love your picture. You are beautiful..... Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pic!! I love freckles! I have many on my face, wish i had more =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though deep down freckles are not that bad, people tend to react negatively toward folks with freckles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 14 and I often feel that people are cruel and judgmental of me. After reading your story, it makes me realize that no one can be "perfect", and the more special you are, the better. you ARE beautiful and amazing and on the inside, you are such a strong person. Never let anyone bring you down <3Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly,

    Remember that - celebrate your individuality because beauty is confidence!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. For people who love originality you are the holy grail. What a pity I will never see you in person...:(

    ReplyDelete