One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art - Oscar Wilde

Wednesday 10 November 2010

Coming Soon: Yohji Yamamoto at the V&A



I wanted to whet your appetites and tease your tastebuds for the up and coming Yohji Yamamoto retrospective at one of my favourite museums in London, the V&A.  I love retrospectives: the chance to peek into and experience firsthand a designers archive is quite special; it can even be quite intimate. Mr Yamamoto literally exploded onto the fashion scene in 1981 when he moved from his native Tokyo to show in Paris. He is of course best known for his relationship with tailoring, pushing boundaries by exploring new techniques, and going against prevailing moods and trends. Famously he has been quoted as (obstinately - even childishly), 'hating fashion'. For some reason though, I just can't quite believe him - despite all this built up contrariness, I think he just wants to keep us guessing. And I have little doubt that he will be the one having the last laugh at this private joke with himself, that the rest of us will never quite get. I for one can not wait to glimpse into the history of this incredibly visionary designer.



Yohji Yamamoto at the V&A will run from March-July 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment